Saturday 19 September 2015

Living with disability in Nepal - Kamala's story

Bear with me – a bit longer post this time as I have included Kamala’s story which she is happy to share; it provides a stark account of living with disability as a marginalized woman in Nepal. 

One of the three small Nepali organisations I am working with is NIDA (Nepal Indigenous People with Disabilities Association). They are a small group of passionate activists representing the most disadvantaged disabled people in Nepal, from the least powerful ethnic minority groups. For the last few weeks it has been a very moving experience to sit with some of the members of NIDA to listen to and write about their issues and their stories. My first task has been to help them prepare a submission to the UN Special Rapporteur for Disabilities on the right of persons with disabilities to participate in decision-making, which is being collected from all countries.


                               Members of NIDA I met with this week : photo by consent

Khadgar Magar (man in photo),  the President of NIDA told me:

Ten years ago I suffered a severe spinal injury in a bus accident. For quite some time I refused to accept my disability….this caused me severe psychological trauma and for 3-4 years I never left my room. [in Nepal there is still much stigma and little support for people with disabilities, especially in remote areas]. Because of my background – providing education to kids – my relative challenged me “if you limit yourself to just staying in this room how can you develop yourself? Finally I decided to do something about changing my life. I bought a wheelchair, started writing books and provided education to my Magar (indigenous tribal group) community. 

I went on to join a disability organisation and later I was made General Secretary but even so I faced great discrimination. It seems that based on my indigenous status and my severe disability I was excluded from participation in every decision making process. [most Nepal disability organisations are run by people from the higher caste, more socially powerful groups] I only attended the meeting, signed the minutes and returned home. People would say things like “your disability is too severe…you can’t manage to get to government offices… there is no access”….“because you have such a severe disability you cannot handle the responsibility of the post. I answered them “if you provide for me a disability friendly environment I can do anything.“ I used to travel two and a half hours by wheelchair to the meetings. Finally they made me Vice Chairman but that is a non-post…I would just stand in for the Chairman in his absence and have no part in the decision making process.

In frustration I left that organization and set up NIDA in order to advocate for indigenous persons with disabilities. Our major concerns are related to the different international agreements on disability that the state [Nepal] has ratified but not yet acted upon. This means that our human rights as indigenous disabled people to be properly represented through participation in the relevant policy and decision making processes are not protected.  Since we are not on represented on any policymaking forum, how can we get our voice heard?

NIDA is advocating for people like Kamala.

Kamala’s story


                                                  
                                                   Photo by consent

I was disabled at birth. My left leg was small like a ball – not naturally formed and one arm is the same. Once, as a very small child I was injured by a thorn whilst walking outside. The wound became infected and I didn’t get treatment as there was no money pay for it – I am from a very poor Tamang (ethnic minority tribal group) family living in a remote rural area.  The wound got worse and worse and eventually it became cancerous.

I was admitted to the first hospital when I was 12 years old but my father disappeared because he could not pay the hospital fees. I also escaped from the hospital. One of my relatives found me and took me to another hospital. Again my Father realized he could not pay the fees and he disappeared again. After that I stayed 2 years in hospital but I had nothing – not even food. I just ate whatever was left over after everyone had eaten and had to accept charity – I was like an orphan. 

I was 14 when I eventually had to have my leg amputated. After I recovered I was provided with a  wheelchair and they said “now you can go home - we will pay for transport.” I had nowhere to go so I had to stay there for another two years. My home is in a steep remote rural area- impossible with a wheelchair to get anywhere and I just couldn’t face my family. Nobody ever came to visit me in hospital, by now my father was dead and my mother didn’t know anything about what had happened to me.

Whilst I was staying at the hospital I met another Nepali woman who had been badly burnt whilst sleeping. She saw my situation and wanted to help me. Her husband was in America and they had some money so she paid for me to get a prosthetic limb. A doctor helped me and took me to the clinic where they make prosthetic limbs. After getting the prosthetic I was able to go back home to my village to my mother’s house.  It was so upsetting for me in my village. People taunted me and made fun of me. Even my mother was so negative towards me saying things like  “what can you do?   - nothing.”  “What sort of a life can you have?” After a year the ‘foot’ part broke. I went back to the same place in Kathmandu to get it mended. The man asked me “have you brought 10,000 rupees?” Of course I didn’t have any money so I just left and tried to manage. that I could barely walk – I used a stick but it was very hard.  

So I finally made the hard decision to come back to Kathmandu and stayed with a relative for a while. I got a job cutting wool for carpet – very, very hard work. Later I got work in an Indian business making necklaces earning 1 rupee [less than one pence] per necklace. I made 100 a day so that was enough to rent a small room. When I was 27 I  met a nice man, able bodied, in the Nepal police and on the  third day I married him! I was so happy to get pregnant but then I was very sick and had a miscarriage at 8 months – this still makes me feel very sad. My husband had to care for me so he lost his job and he is still jobless.

The house where we had a room was destroyed in the earthquake and life is very hard. I cannot read or write because I had no schooling. My husband was an orphaned teenager as his parents were killed in the Maoist conflict. Me and my husband are happy together but from morning to night our life is difficult and we live hand to mouth. My mother used to send grain (rice, maize etc) from the village but in the earthquake her house, field and belongings were all destroyed so now there is nothing. The Indians I worked for have all gone back to India after the earthquake and so again I have no job. For one year now I have had a big problem with my prosthetic leg which is broken and I keep falling over – I just have to keep taping it up. I cannot get it repaired because I cannot pay the fees. 

I don’t know what will come tomorrow……….

Kamala found out that same day that NIDA have, after months of effort, finally managed to find some financial support to help pay for her new prosthetic limb.






No comments:

Post a Comment